This is Aleana

     Hello, my name is Aleana and I am a student this semester in Art F200x. I live in Colorado with my husband and our two children, while serving in the Army. I began attending UAA while I was stationed in Alaska, but recently transferred to UAF so that I can complete my BA Anthropology online, which is more convenient for me while I balance my busy work and home life. I am 25 years old, and enjoy sports like snowboarding and rock climbing, as well as playing piano. I am originally from the great state of California, then when I was 19 I left after joining the Army. I am taking this course to satisfy as GER, but I am looking forward to learning about art throughout time. 


    Since I was little, I have always had an interest in art. When I was young, my grandma would take me to visit many different art museums, and she has always encouraged me to draw, paint and create. I've always enjoyed painting, although with my busy schedule it's harder to find time. I briefly majored in art, until I realized that for me, it's more of a hobby than something I'd like to make a career out of. Aside from visual arts I have played both piano and guitar since I was very young. I am very fortunate to have had family that invested time to teach me how important art is. 



Comments

  1. Although I have taught this art class for over 20 years, I am actually a musician. I am just an art lover, not an art doer. Music is what I do all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aleana,

    The Army is the same reason that I was in Alaska, it was the last station my spouse had before leaving the Army. I agree that a distance-based program helps to create an easier work/life balance. That is one of the main reasons I chose to pursue a second degree with UAF. I appreciate your comment about art being an important subject to introduce to others. It’s great when you are in an environment that encourages creativity. I always found myself enjoying craft projects as a kid. I look forward to seeing your discussions soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also a UAF student living outside of Alaska at the moment! I love how convenient online school is and that it doesn't conflict with my schedule. It's really great that your family introduced you to the arts, it's just as important as introducing kids to sports.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Though I never really had family members interested in art, I developed a love for it at a young age. I was born in Germany as my father was stationed there while in the Army. My love started there, but more as a fascination with the architect. European architect is a hidden form of art I think should be appreciated more. This love of architect morphed into my love of art. Especially classical music and art that holds history within it's story. I'm currently active duty in the Navy and can completely agree with your choice for online learning, I am hoping to move to Alaska soon so that I can continue my educational career in person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Aleana,
    I was in Alaska for the same reasons as you, except my husband was the service member. We are now living in Virginia and I am wrapping up my degree from here. I always hoped we would get stationed in Colorado - seems like such a cool state. Family encouragement is so vital when you're young - I'm happy to hear that you had such a supportive network of family members willing to teach you and push you to explore different interests. I'm not the musical one in my family - my brother and sister got those genes! I love how much music and art are intertwined - they are complimentary creative outlets and I love both of them very much.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts